This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may receive a commission if you click on a link, or make a purchase using the links in this post. All opinions are my own.
Let me tell you, all the memes about baking during the coronavirus pandemic are all true. At first, I laughed, why on earth would this pandemic make people start baking in droves? And, then I decided that I should really give it a go, and you guys, I have been baking non-stop ever since!
Don’t stop, won’t stop!
There is a local bakery that makes amazing sour cherry lemon sourdough bread. So, I decided I wanted to make a non-sourdough easy bread machine version. I couldn’t find any recipes close to what I wanted to do, so I winged it.
A risky thing to do with baking, but the result was divine! When the handsome hunk audibly swooned when trying the first bite, I knew it was a keeper. And, of course, I had to test it again, and again, and again. This quickly became our favorite quarantine snack and breakfast.
Sour cherries are one of my absolute favorite. I get organic, dried sour cherries in a big bag from Costco. They are delicious in oatmeal or just as snacking! And, lemon is my secret ingredient in just about everything.
While I haven’t added any, if you’re a nut lover, adding walnuts or pecans to the bread would be absolutely delicious.
If you don’t have a bread machine, get one! If you think, I never make bread, it’s probably because you don’t have a bread machine. I never make bread by hand. But, I love making bread in a bread machine. It is just so easy! It really is set, and forget. You can also easily make pizza dough too for homemade pizza date night!
This is my bread machine, and I love it. I picked it up for $5 at a yard sale. But, let me tell you, if it broke tomorrow, I would happily pay full price for a new one. It’s so good. Yard sales are a great place to pick up bread machines. When they start up again, keep your eye out. And if you’re impatient, just do yourself a favor and order yourself one.
And, now here is the recipe for bread machine sour cherry lemon bread!
Bread Machine Sour Cherry Lemon Bread
- Bread Machine
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs butter softened
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4 tbs sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp quick yeast
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- Put all ingredients in bread machine, except for cherries.
- Set bread machine to sweet bread setting, medium crust, 1.5 lb loaf
- After ball has formed, while machine is still kneading, add in cherries.As the bread is kneading, check to see if it is too wet. I have made this many times and usually this ratio works perfectly for me. But once it was too dry and once, it was too wet. While it's still in the kneading phase is the time to fix this bad adding flour or water, 1 Tbs at a time until the ball isn't so sticky it can't hold its shape, or too dry.
- When bread is finished, remove from machine, and cool bread on a wire rack.
- Enjoy warm with butter!