I may earn a small commission from any companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are my own.
Mostly, I eat healthy. The key word there being, mostly. Mostly, I have smoothies for breakfast. Mostly, I have salad, soup, or healthy leftovers for lunch. Mostly, I cook healthy, whole food dinners with organic ingredients, that are in season, fresh, and loaded with vegetables. Mostly.
Sometimes, I wake up on Saturday morning, after a week of eating dark leafy greens, working out, having a healthy, active lifestyle, and I think, I really want some cheese. Last Saturday was one of those such mornings. And, on mornings such as that, I create this knock your socks off good breakfast strata.
What is a breakfast strata you ask? Strata is really just a fancy term for an egg casserole. Mix up bread, cheese, and eggs to make this delicious casserole that’s quiche like and savory french toast like, while being something very much its own. Stratas could have sonnets written about them they are so good!
It’s everything unhealthy you could want in a breakfast. There is delicious French bread, and oh so much ooey gooey cheese. I don’t know about you, but cheese is my love language. I mostly eat a vegan diet right now, but cheese will forever hold a place in my heart as the most delicious of the food groups. Followed closely by the wine category. But, since I do try to make a habit of not drinking wine at 9:00 in the morning, this breakfast strata hits the spot.
The boyfriend loves when I get the urge to indulge and make this truly decadent breakfast. The eggs are so creamy, soaked up by the French bread. And all that cheese. I made it this time with honey ham, thick cut, sliced right at the deli. But, you easily could substitute for whatever your favorite breakfast meat is. Prosciutto would be divine with gruyere cheese. This is so easy to change up, make it with a Southwest spin by adding sweet peppers, some onion, and a spicy jalapeno havarti. For a mushroom lover, add some with a soft herb cheese in place of the cream cheese. The possibilities are endless.
This isn’t a quick breakfast strata, so if you’re like me, get the urge to make it at 9:00 but realize you have none of the ingredients to make it, and have to run to the store, it will probably be more like a brunch breakfast strata by the time you’re done. Which, I don’t know about you, but I am a-okay with! This is especially good after all, with a bunch mimosa. Just throwing it out there as an option for the mimosa lovers in the crowd.
- 1 baguette French bread
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup of cream
- 2 slices of thick cut ham
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz Fontina cheese
- 2 oz sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cube the baguette into large bite size pieces, approximately 1-2" in size. If doing so a day ahead of time, leave out the bread cubes to harden slightly. Otherwise, spread over a pan and bake for 3-5 minutes to make the pieces a little crusty.
- While toasting the bread, whip up the eggs and cream until light and full of air bubbles.
- Cube ham into small pieces, approximately ¼-1/2" in size
- When the bread is done, grease an 8x8 pan and layer ⅓ of the bread on the bottom. Then add ⅓ of the ham, cream cheese (in small dollops), FOntina and cheddar cheese. Repeat layers until everything is used up.
- Once all the other ingredients are layered, pour whipped eggs evenly over the entire pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until the center has set. Check at 30 minutes. You may need to cover to prevent cheese from browning too much.