This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may receive a commission if you click on a link, or make a purchase using the links in this post. All opinions are my own.
My health is important to me. Eating healthy is important to me. I’m one of those monsters who actually likes kale. But, I also don’t want to eat nothing but kale. Ya know? I want to have balance. This is my life after all, and I can’t live my entire life not allowing myself all the good stuff in life. And, so that means finding healthier options. Like these delicious, healthy shrimp tacos! They are light but bursting with flavor.
This was a recipe I came up with before my wedding. Dieting for a wedding is no joke. See my eating and fitness wedding routine. There was no way I could deprive myself for months and months leading up to the wedding. So, I came up with delish recipes that were light and supporting my goals of looking amazing on my wedding day. Yay for healthy shrimp tacos saving the day!
A plus was even though I came up with it as a healthy option, it doesn’t taste like it. It’s delicious! And, fiance approved! The handsome hunk gobbled them up. I had mine sans cheese.
Instead of battering and deep frying the shrimp for these tacos like so many restaurants do with seafood tacos, instead these are simply cooked in a pan with just enough oil that they don’t stick.
I used corn tortillas this time, but I have also done this with lettuce wraps and they were so good and fresh! An optional step that I like to take when using tortillas is to toast them. With a gas range, you can simply turn on the burner, and stick a tortilla on the grate on top. Watch it closely so that it gets a little toasty, but not burnt.
Sweet and Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Healthy, fresh & delicious sweet and spicy shrimp tacos! Easy weekday meal!
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3 large shrimp per taco OR
- 10 mini shrimp per taco
- 4 small corn tortillas (or lettuce wraps)
- 2 jalapenos (1 for shrimp, 1 for slaw)
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp sriracha (to taste)
- sprinkle cojata cheese
- 1/4 small purple cabbage
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- dash salt
- Chop two jalapenos.
- Get a medium saute pan going over medium high heat
- Add one jalapeno to pan and saute until almost done. About 5 minutes.
- Peel & devein shrimp
- Add shrimp, before fully cooked, add sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and lime
- Remove from heat and set aside
- For quick slaw, chop cabbage, avocado, red onion, and add in a bowl with chopped jalapeno.
- Drizzle slaw with lime juice, and toss.
- Optional: Toast corn tortillas until they are golden brown either directly over flame on gas stove, grill, or in a pan over high heat.
- Make your taco! Add shrimp, slaw, and sprinkle with cojata cheese
- Serve with a light lager, bonus points for a sunny warm day!